Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Freshmen camp and first days at the Uni

Freshmen camp

Day 1.
We went for a Freshmen camp to a nearby lake called Balaton. The trip started at 8.30 when we were supposed to be in front of our school. It was hard for me because the metro line 3 was cut two stations away the station I usually change to metro 4. Luckily they had done a replacement bus but of course it took at least 5 minutes more than I was prepared. I still got to the busses, and they left at 9.00. Our program was to first go to Tihany, wander around the small town. After that we ate a lunch at one restaurant with some wine tasting included. Lunch was good and wine okay except the last one, which smelled little like petrol. Surprisingly about half of us didn’t finish them…Then we went by a boat to smaller willige, where our camp was. It took about an one hour to for that boat to do that 10 kilometres on water. At the camp there was first a small dinner: pasta and chicken(but really not enough). In the evening we had again some party games and a party with dance floor etc. after that. 
View from Tihany

Another view, but little farer from a footpath on nearby hill

Little shop in Tihany

Restaurant we ate, good food unfortunately I don't remember the name of the place

Day 2.
Wake up call at 8.30 and a breakfast. After that we packed up our stuff and leaved for a beach nearby. At the beach we went first swimming and after that with a new german friend we decided to go and play football with some other guys. We played in a small futsal-sized field and the surface was sand. I surprised some spanish etc guys with my Finnish football skills and scoring many goals :D Then we went again swimming and then to a Balaton Bob-adventure park where was this one roller coast where you could yourself control the speed with breaks. Finally at 17.00 we were back at the University in Budapest and everyone was tired! Funny thing was that I ordered some extra food or coffee three times at the trip and every time just after that and before I get it, the group leaders were like: Let’s go! So I needed every time to finish them fast or leave at the restaurant
View from a lookout tower in an adventure park Balatoni Bob


A beach in Balatonakali

Another picture from the beach: from that slope we went to swimming


First days at school
Here is also this eduroam wifi than in my home University in Lappenranta but it really don’t work properly. I managed to get it working for like 5 minutes before my first lesson. After that it haven't worked. Not with my phone nor my laptop :( And I got message from my girlfriend that she has got my letter :P Now waiting for her response ;) Today I managed to get BME-wifi working so that was nice, and now I can really work also at the school if I for example have a break.

A little about the courses I have attended and what the first lessons were like:

Combustion technology 5 credits
First lesson was like a little recap of thermodynamics I have had already in Finland. First the teacher had huge problems getting his computer attached to this projector he was using to show us some powerpoint slides. Secondly he said that we can have those power points after the classes for our usb-sticks.. Why not to the internet or even email!? How ancient and hard is this!

Communication skills 2 credits
At first the teacher spoke hungarian for like 30 minutes with the hungarians to ask what state exams they have passed and took apart. Little weird.. Finally we get to the topics and started to speak in small groups. It seemed like an okay course. Lots of speaking in the lessons, one summary, one presentation and a small exam all held in the classes and before Christmas so no worries for me or other ERASMUS!

Digital pedagogy 2 credits
Hahhah, sounded interesting and the first lesson was okay.. But how good can this be when every other course I have had have been so ancient in methods of pedagogy :D This course requires us to participate on conversations in the classes, to write one summary of an article, one presentation and an essay on a topic we choose relating digital pedagogy. And also has one class test.

Heat transfer 4 credits
Heat transfer is probably teached in the oldest way I can imagine. The teacher just speaks while writing in to the blackboard and students just copies what he is writing. The same was on Monday at the first lesson and the same in the 'more practical' seminar. We just had different teacher this time.

Environmental management of Energy 2 credits
This is an awesome course! At least the first lesson was interesting. The professor speaks really good and quite fast English, he uses IT and both text and videos. Has interesting examples etc. I am really waiting forward to the next weeks class. Today he spoked about transportation, some about globalisation, smog and economic optimisation of transportation.

English for engineers 2 credits
The lecturer in this class seems to be funny guy and at least good at english. He makes funny of everybody so I liked the class. This is quite similar to this Communication skills that the requirements of this course includes also summary, class discussion, essay and a presentation.


I like what this semester seems to be like. I have never liked writing an essay or summary or doing a presentation, but I am sure they will help me to improve myself. So I am actually quite excited about those three non-technical courses I have! What I am not is impressed of those technical courses.. I will have also two more but if they are like these two I have, they are probably quite easy and held in a extremely boring way. And they might cause little problems you miss too many of the lessons or seminars. And the laboratories are mandatory.

Food
Just tested 'the better' student restaurant. There you can decide from 2 or 3 different main dishes or take a pizza. The meal costs 720 HUF so it is less than 2,3 and you get a salad, soup and the main course(though not very big portions but theres enough for most of the people). There is also some Chinese restaurants and other restaurants close to the school(less than 5 minutes walk) and bakeries. I think in Budapest every second or third block has its own Bakery. Very nice though, I usually buy all my breads from a bakery on the same block my flat is. Later I will tell more about food!
Meal in a students restaurant

Transportation
Like google-maps estimated before, my flat is approximately 30 minutes from the University. In the mornings around 8 and afternoons around 16 metros come every third or second minute and are always almost full. But you can always get in. They work really well. In the weekends they go about every fifth or sixth minute when there is less people using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment